Friday, March 11, 2011

03-10-2011


The chicks are doing ok today.  We went to Gebo's this afternoon to pick up a smaller waterer and feeder.  They had some straight run chicks for sale.  There was a little black bantam that was all by himself, so we got him/her and also picked up a Rhode Island Red.  We weren't sure which were males/females but could tell there was a difference in the combs.  We picked what we thought was a female....time will tell.  We also saw some new fencing that they now carry which is more affordable and should work perfectly for enclosing the back area.

Tonight, the little black bantam seemed ok but had a bad case of pasty butt.  I tried to pull the poop off with a wet towel but didn't have any luck.  I tried some force but had no luck there either without really hurting him.  I looked it up on the internet and decided one suggestion sounded best.  I soaked his little bottom in warm water for about a minute, and it came off no with problem.

The little chicks are already starting to get wing feathers.

2 comments:

  1. I love the blog. It's like The Daily Kitty, only chicks! Hope you're having fun with them. What do your two guys think of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, our two guys really don't know about them yet. They are aware that there is something interesting out in the barn, but we haven't encouraged anything yet because I don't want to have to chase them every time I open the door. I'm sure they will figure it out or escape into the barn soon enough.

    ReplyDelete