Friday, March 11, 2011

03-09-2011: The chicks have arrived!




































The Post Office called me this afternoon to let me know that the chicks had arrived in the afternoon shipment.  They weren't scheduled to be shipped until today, so I was surprised and not yet prepared. 

I cancelled my home health appointments (which meant that I now get to work about 1/2 day on one of my rare days off---yuck!) and headed to the post office.  As I was waiting in line, I thought I could hear cheeping.  Sure enough, they had the tiny box just behind the desk.  The postal clerks said I couldn't take them because the chicks were singing to them. 

I got them home, and Rick helped me figure out where to keep them.  I had bought supplies from Tractor Supply last week, but we hadn't decided on a container for them yet and didn't have anything put together.  An old guinea pig cage worked perfectly (for maybe a week) and when we had everything put together, the water ready, gro-gel mixed up, lamp on, etc., I cut the strap and opened the box.

The box was packed with really colorful, loud and very cute little chickens.  I couldn't believe how they were packed into that box.  The temps last night had been below freezing, but the chicks were all alive and looked ok.  I took them out one at a time and dipped each one of their beaks in water before placing them in the brooder.  They were kind of in shock at first, but soon began to peck on the bottom of the cage at the newsprint and eventually made it over to the feed, water, and gro-gel (a little packet of powder that turned in to a large pile of green gel nodules when added to 1/2 cup of water--for dehydration and energy I think). 
We had to figure out how to adjust the height of the heat lamp (red, 250 watts) so that it was at the optimal temperature of about 95°. 

Withing an hour they were running around all over the cage except the two guineas.  They were both just lying on the floor looking like they were about to die.  I finally picked them up and made them drink water several times and dipped their wet beaks in the food.  They soon revived and were fine.

We ordered 25 chickens (1/4 box).  They have to be shipped in 1/4 box increments for warmth.  If there are extra spaces, they add male chicks for warmth.  I didn't want random male chicks, so that was a good excuse to order lots of chicks!  The main goal is eggs, so I wanted mostly hens (pullets).  I thought some little roosters might be fun and cute too, so I ordered some bantams (which are only sold as straight run).  Despite some concerns about loudness, I also have been wanting some guineas for snake and bug control.  The final breakdown goes something like this:

2 French guineas (straight run)
1 Buff Catalana, pullet
1 White Faced Black Spanish, pullet
1 Red Cap, pullet
1 Ancona, pullet
1 Black Astralorp, pullet
1 New Hampshire Red, pullet
1 Silver Phoenix, pullet
1 Golden Lakenvelder, pullet
2 Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn, pullet
2 Danish Brown Leghorn, pullet
1 Ameraucana, pullet
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, pullet
3 Wheaten Old English Bantam, straight run
3 Blue Light Brown Dutch Bantam, straight run
3 Cream Light Brown Dutch Bantam, straight run

We have a wide variety of chickens and egg colors.  I wasn't able to get any that lay dark brown eggs but will try next time.  The chickens will be free range on the back part of the property (about 1→1 1/2 acres) with a 5' fence which should keep out dogs, cats, and coyotes.  The hawks could be a problem, but it's going to be survival of the fittest with that.  They should be ok for the most part I think.  We will keep them in the shop for a month or two--we'll transfer them to a larger, yet to be determined container when they outgrow the small brooder.  They'll need the heat lamp for at least a month, with the temperature decreasing by 5° per week.  We'll then transfer them to the old guinea pig pen outside when it warms up more, and they'll stay in that enclosed area until we get the fence up and they are fully grown.  We'll probably continue to use that as their house for a while, maybe even permanently, and will have it set where they can go in/out as they please during the day and range in the back fenced area.  They won't start laying eggs until 5-7 months, so August will be the earliest time we'll see any eggs. 

It would have been easier to start after we got the house finished and settled, but I know from years of watching the hatchery availability that they sell out very quickly and you have basically no choices except bantams.  I decided to order about a month ago.  Most everything I wanted (except dark brown egg layers and some of the bantam colors) was available.  The week after I ordered I checked again, and they were sold out of everything except bantams through June and some for the entire year.  By the way, I ordered from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, Texas.  http://www.idealpoultry.com/  I've been researching & wishing for many years---this is a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment